Hi hi hi it’s Mere, so here we go…
As soon as that word is heard you probably immediately thought of what yours is, something probably came to mind. Sadly the thought may have already come through your mind today, maybe even a few times today. I hope that’s not true for you but in a world flashing what seems to be “perfection” in our faces, insecurities become a harsh reality. Whether your insecurity lies in your body image, your personality, your resume/job, your social life, etc. we can all relate on how it makes us feel. In high school I lived insecure about my body and the way God made it. I didn’t view my body as a masterpiece made in God’s image. Instead I viewed my body in comparison to others. I saw what someone else looked like and I wanted that, I didn’t understand why I didn’t have that, and I tried everything I could to get that. Whatever your “that” is, to be honest, it isn’t worth it. Nope none of it is worth it. All the time I spent worrying and stressing about what someone else had that I wanted, all I was doing was first of all offending my Creator-telling Him He didn’t do a good job and that I am dissatisfied and unhappy with the way He made me. And secondly it took away joy and excitement from my life, I was too busy throwing a pity party for myself. After God created man and woman he called it “good” he was pleased and satisfied in how we are made. Yet we communicate to Him that He failed, that He is wrong and we are right. Sounds harsh but it’s what I did, it’s what we do. When I began realizing that’s what I’m communicating to my Savior, it caught me off guard, broke my heart, and I realized something needed to change. I wish I could tell you I never once felt insecure about my body after that but that isn’t the reality either. The reality is we are broken people and having insecurities is natural in this world but we are here on earth to live for so much more. God wants us to live a life with so much more meaning, purpose, joy, and peace than stressing about something that He gave you. He made us the way we are for a reason and a purpose. There’s a reason you have that “thing” about you that you wish you didn’t. The Lord promises in Romans 8:28 that He does everything for a reason. He wants us to live in peace trusting His word and trusting that His plan and creation is good. This takes a fight, we can’t sit back and hope our insecurities go away. Thankfully the fight is made much easier when we have the Lord on our side, who wants to fight for us against the lies we believe. Because yes, our insecurities are 9 times out of 10 based on a lie you are believing about yourself. Here are some steps that have helped bring me to where I am today and that help me fight against insecurities about my body image:
1. PRAY, tell the Lord what you are insecure about. Tell him how it makes you feel, He already knows but He wants to hear it from you.
2. ROOT, find the root of why you are insecure about whatever it is. Find the lie you are believing about yourself.
3. TRUTH, find the Truth to bat against the lie you believe. Look in scripture and talk to your friends who can show you what’s really true.
4. WRITE, write down the verses/truth you found and keep it somewhere where you can see it every day.
5. REALIZE, look for what makes it worse. Whether it’s people on instagram you follow, magazines you look at, or certain people you’re around- be proactive, separate yourself, and don’t set yourself up for failure.
6. PATIENCE, this may not go away over night, but be persistent in your prayers and fight against it, the Lord is faithful!
7. TALK, reach out to someone who can help you process it and encourage you! Please reach out to us if you ever want to talk, we would LOVE that!
I know that’s a novel and my words are jumbled into a ramble but I hope it reached out to some of you and that you can be encouraged that you aren’t alone, God is so much more powerful than any insecurity, and He wants to fight with you against any insecurity you have! Thanks for listening and again please please feel free to reach out to us anytime, that’s what we made this for!!! Love y’all and thanks for the support!